Friday, January 08, 2016

I tried this: White Nutella

I was looking through The Metapicture, and found this:


And I thought to myself, where INDEED is the white chocolate Nutella?
(from now on referring to it as HNS because legal reasons)
In the past I've made regular hazelnut spread, especially this one from Quirky Cooking who has devised lots of of recipes that are friendly to our mainly dairy- and soy-free home. Yes, we rarely eat dairy and soy at Midget Central, which made me somewhat ridiculously excited at the thought of white chocolate HNS. Not so excited about dark chocolate HNS because Lindt does make dark chocolate that can be eaten by mym people, but there was a level of excitement nonetheless.
So I googled recipes, and came up with a few, including some that I've used before in the pursuit of giving my children a normal taste of chocolate (and I wanted some of those funny funny pictures when babies smear chocolate everywhere). Some were more successful than others.

Raw chocolate hazelnut spread (aka healthy Nutella)

Better Than Nutella (Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread)

Homemade Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread

Homemade Nutella: Two Ways (Homemade Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread)

and finally, this recipe which inspired my final result:

White Chocolate Nutella

All of these recipes generally had the same ingredients and the same processes, but I have devised my own recipe, because, let's not forget, I am quite lazy (even as I speak, my children are eating raw noodle cakes - because they asked for raw noodles cakes, and who am I to argue with a child's wish?)

So, when I went shopping with The Man, the shopping budget blew out because I decided I needed hazelnuts and white chocolate to make my hazelnut spread. He didn't realise this was why we spent over $100 in Woolworths. Heh heh.

Just for clarity, we did not buy $100 of white chocolate and hazelnuts. They were however unexpected expenses.

Making White Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, the Ninja Midget Way
This image came from here

1. Measure out 170g of hazelnuts. Most recipes call for roasting the hazelnuts and rubbing their skins off. You could do that, but I saw it as an unnecessary delay in my pursuit of deliciousness.
It was just over one packet of these Woolworths Select Hazelnuts.
EDIT: If you really wanted to remove the skins, you could roast the nuts in the oven for 10 minutes and then rub them in a tea towel to get the skins off. If you wanted to. I didn't.




This image came from here


2. Measure out 300g of white chocolate. I used a block of Choceur White Chocolate from Aldi, and then used half a block of some other white chocolate that was in the cupboard. Break the chocolate into the separate little portions.







3. Blast the hazelnuts in a food processor until they are reduced to a grainy texture - not quite a floury texture, but pretty small. If I'd have roasted them and removed the skins, I wouldn't have had flecks of brown skin through it, but I didn't mind (pursuit of deliciousness and all that). It took me about 10 seconds in my Thermomix.

4. Add the chocolate and blast that too. Again, it took me about 10 seconds to get the texture right. This is not as important as the hazelnuts, because the chocolate can melt.

5. Add in two tablespoons of coconut oil (or whatever other oil you like, it make the spread a bit more spreadable), a tiny pinch of salt and a slosh of vanilla essence. I like vanilla essence. You could probably use something else like raspberry or orange or strawberry essence if you wanted to.

6. Heat on low and keep stirring for 6 minutes, or until the spread is incorporated (looks like something you'd spread on your bread). If you make it too hot, it will burn the chocolate, and it will look and taste ick.

7. As soon as its cooked, pour into a clean jar and put it in the fridge. It hasn't got any preservatives, so probably for food safety reasons, shouldn't be kept in the cupboard. However, if you want to attack it with a spoon, go for it.

8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment