Thursday, May 15, 2014

Shakshuka! Bless you.

Yesterday I had left over pizza for lunch, so when I picked up Honey and she told me that she wanted pizza for dinner (but no vegies on it, OK Mum?) I decided to make something different, but I had no idea what.
So while I was at the supermarket I was googling low-carb dinner ideas, and shakshuka came up, it's a vegetarian Israeli meal. I think?
Anyway, I made a pot (or in my case, a frypan) of it for dinner, and had heaps left, so now I'm eating it for lunch.
It actually made 5-6 serves, but I ate about a third of it for dinner, so I think portion control is something I need to, ahem, address...

Shakshuka (makes 5-6 servings)
(Tori's Kitchen)
My very own photo. Luckily my stove was clean today!
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 medium capsicum, chopped
  • 2 cans chopped tomatoes (I used Ardmona because they are Australian grown)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • Pinch of sugar (optional)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 5-6 eggs

  1. Fry the onion in the olive oil in a largish frypan until the onion has softened
  2. Add the garlic and continue to fry on a medium heat until you can smell that its cooking.
  3. Add the capsicum and fry until it has softened.
  4. Add the tomatoes and the tomato paste to the pan and stir till it is blended.
  5. Add the sugar and the spices and allow it to simmer until it starts to reduce.
  6. Taste the mixture and then season according to your preferences.
  7. Crack the eggs and add them to the mixture (I put six eggs into the mixture as in the picture above).
  8. Cover the pan and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. The eggs will cook on top of the tomatoes.
  9. Make sure the sauce doesn't burn!

Shakshuka can be eaten for breakfast lunch or dinner.

Was this meal cheap? I already had most of the ingredients. The tinned tomato and eggs were the priciest bit - the tomatoes were $1.40 a can (multiplied by two cans), and then the eggs were $3.50 for half a dozen. I already had eggs, but I've just bought another half dozen for a recipe I am going to try. But divided by the number of serves, it's pretty reasonable.
Was this meal quick to prepare? Sort of. It took a little while, but I could go and do other things once it was combined, and then just set the timer to remind me when it would be ready.
Was this meal tasty? I reckon this recipe lends itself to add all sorts of ingredients and flavours. As it is, it was quite good (especially if I was going to eat it for breakfast), but I was tempted to add bacon, but then decided not to so I could see what the proper recipe was meant to taste like.
Would my family eat this? Yes. Honey stole some of it as I was eating my tea (just after she finished her 'pizza-with-no-veggies'). The Man might want something more substantial with it, and Buddy just enjoys food. But yes, they would all eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment